If you are craving something creamy, hearty, and delicious – you've just found your recipe. This pasta is topped with at with a velvety sauce made from cashews, onions, and garlic and then finished with some tender sautéed mushrooms. This is a great to serve a few friend over the weekend.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce With Spaghetti [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium leek, peeled, cleaned and diced
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, for frying
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for at least 20 minutes
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube plus 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 7 ounces Brown Button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder, in a little water to mix into a runny paste
- 1-2 cups baby spinach, rinsed
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Spaghetti of choice (gluten-free or grain-free if needed)
- Boil the water and place your cashew nuts in a bowl. Cover them with the boiling water and allow them to soak while you carry on with the recipe.
- Peel, clean, and chop the red onion and leek.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a frying pan and add the chopped onion and leek when the pan has reached a high temperature.
- Allow them to sauté until they are soft and golden brown.
- In another small bowl, add the 1/2 vegetable stock cube and add some boiling water and allow it to dissolve.
- Once the onion and leeks are done, add them to a blender along with the soaked and rinsed cashew nuts, vegetable stock liquid, lemon juice, onion powder, nutritional yeast, and 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Blend everything until smooth.
- Chop and sauté the mushrooms in the olive oil. Once they're soft (yet still firm) and golden brown place them on a plate.
- Add the sliced zucchini to the same pan and sauté them until golden brown on each side.
- While the zucchini is cooking, bring a big pot of water to the boil.
- Once it's boiling, add your spaghetti or choice of pasta. Cook this until soft. Remove it from the heat and drain and rinse it with cold water.
- Place the colander back over the pot, with a little water, over the warm stove, with a lid on to keep it warm until you're ready to serve it.
- Place the sauce from the blender into a small pot and bring it up to a medium heat.
- In a small bowl add the arrowroot powder and a little water to create a runny paste that has no lumps.
- Add this paste to the sauce and stir everything on a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- The sauce will begin to thicken and the texture will become more sauce-like.
- At this stage add the finely diced chives, leaving a few to sprinkle when you are serving. Stir the mixture thoroughly. Once the zucchini is soft and golden brown, add the mushrooms back to the pan along with the baby spinach.
- Once the spinach has wilted down a bit, add the sauce from the pot and stir everything gently.
- Once the mixture is heated through, either add the spaghetti to the pan or serve it separately. Sprinkle them with diced the chives and enjoy.