Serving up a dessert that’s fresh, light, healthy and fruity is often tricky to find, unless of course it’s a piece of fruit or flavored yogurt. This is where these come in. If you’ve not done it before, you’ll be amazed at just how creamy cashew nuts become when they’re blended with a little water. They make a brilliant dairy-free alternative to whipped cream. Because they’re mild in flavor they make an ideal base to add fruit purées to, letting the fruit do all the talking.
Creamy Mango, Passion Fruit and Lime Pots [Vegan]
- 4.5 oz cashew nuts
- 2 large ripe mangoes, peeled and stoned
- grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 ripe passion fruit
- caster (superfine) sugar or agave syrup to taste, depending on the natural sweetness of the fruit (you may not need any at all)
- Soak the cashew nuts in cold water for at least 2 hours, but overnight is fine.
- Put the mango flesh in a blender or food processor along with the lime zest, juice and passion fruit pulp. If you prefer to remove the seeds, press the passion fruit pulp through a sieve first. Blitz to a purée. Have a taste and if the purée seems too sharp, then add a little sugar or agave to sweeten. It’s likely you won’t need any at all if the mangoes are naturally sweet enough.
- Remove half the fruit purée and keep to one side. Drain the soaked cashew nuts and add to the fruit purée in the blender. Blitz really well, until you have a smooth thick creamy consistency. Continue to blitz if it still seems grainy.
- Spoon the fruity cashew cream into glasses or dishes and spoon the remaining fruit purée on top, stirring gently to create a swirly, ripple effect. Put in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.Serve the fruit pots with additional passionfruit pulp and grated lime zest on top.
Nut-free: swap the cashew nuts for a thick coconut yoghurt. Stir through half the fruit purée rather than blending it, and spoon into glasses or dishes served with the remaining purée swirled on top. Flavour swap: you can try all sorts of fruit combinations using soft fruits or fruit purées: 200g/7 oz raspberries; 1 banana and grated zest of 1 orange; 250g/9 oz cooked rhubarb purée and diced stem ginger; or 250g/9 oz blackberries and the grated zest of 1 lemon.