Blending this soup makes it deliciously creamy, and the flavor is sweet, tangy, and savory. Enjoy it alone or add more protein. Ginger is anti-inflammatory and has been shown to increase gut motility for smoother, more regular digestion. Combined with the fiber from the pears and rich broth, your gut will love this soothing soup.
Creamy Ginger, Pear, and Butternut Squash Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Creamy Ginger, Pear, and Butternut Squash Soup [Vegan]
- 1 medium butternut squash, chopped into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 4 wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, whole and peeled
- 2 Bartlett or Bosch pears, cored and sliced into 4 wedges
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste (omit for AIP)
- 3 1/2 cups (825 ml) broth
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon (30 ml) ginger juice or
- 2 tablespoons (12 g) grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Fresh sprigs of thyme, sage, and toasted sesame seeds for garnish (optional; omit seeds for AIP)
How to Prepare Creamy Ginger, Pear, and Butternut Squash Soup [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Toss the squash, onion, garlic, and pears with oil on the baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown. Check midway and toss or rotate the pans to ensure everything is evenly cooked.
- Add the broth to a large stockpot with the roasted vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add the ginger, turmeric, and more salt and pepper to taste and blend with an immersion blender.
- Alternatively, add everything to a blender. Blend until everything is well combined and the soup is smooth.
- Serve your soup in bowls with garnishes (if using).
Use frozen precut butternut squash to save time.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.