An indulgent yet healthy vegan breakfast of chocolate steel cut oatmeal spells out comfort on cold morning. While it’s entirely vegan, the creaminess is out of this world, and you’ll swoon over every chocolaty bite.
Creamy Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal [Vegan]
For the Oatmeal:
- 1 cup steel cut oats, soaked in a bowl of water overnight and drained
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or 2–3 pitted Medjool dates, finely chopped
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Nut butter
- Dark chocolate
- Fruit (such as pomegranate, berries, and banana)
- Warm the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the soaked and drained oats. Toast the oats in the oil for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the non-dairy milk, cocoa, maple syrup/dates, and a generous pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Then turn down heat to medium-low and cook until the porridge thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and remove from heat.
- Divide the porridge between 2 or 3 bowls and top with nut butter, dark chocolate, and fruit.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat as needed.