This is a lovely, rich soup that's perfect for winter weather. Pureed potatoes and cashew cream help give this nutty soup a creamy texture without the dairy.
Creamy Cashew and Chestnut Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Creamy Cashew and Chestnut Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 can chestnuts, pureed
For the Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
How to Prepare Creamy Cashew and Chestnut Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Cashew Cream:
- In a blender, add cashews and water until smooth. Best done in a VitaMix or other high-powered blender. Set aside.
To Make the Soup:
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion, garlic, and celery, and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the bay leaf, nutmeg, salt and pepper, vegetable stock, potato, and chestnut puree. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, and process in a blender, until smooth. Stir in cashew cream.
- Divide into bowls, and garnish with fresh thyme, and cashew cream.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.