Cream of mushroom soups are typically packed with broths derived from animal products, heavy cream, and sodium. However, this vegan version of the classic soup uses coconut cream that doesn't shift the flavor profile and adds a richness that mirrors the original. If you’re a die-hard mushroom soup person or simply love a good staple vegan soup recipe, you have to try this.
Cream of Mushroom Soup [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 6 cups diced Cremini mushrooms
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon flour (gluten-free or grain-free if necessary)
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- In a large pot, heat vegan butter over medium heat and add mushrooms. Sautée for 5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Remove two cups of mushrooms, set aside. Now add the chopped onion and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Once the mushrooms have shrunk and begun to release moisture, while the onion starts to brown, reduce heat, stir in minced garlic and thyme and continue to stir. Add the flour and continue to stir. cook for 3 minutes.
- Once most of the moisture is absorbed, add in white wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Continue to stir to remove any clumps from the flour. Then add in coconut milk, vegetable stock, sea salt, and ground pepper. Stir to combine the soup and then bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered for at 20 minutes. The soups should reduce slightly and gain a thicker consistency. Take the soup to the blender and puree it. Toss in the mushrooms you remove earlier to add texture. Garnish with thyme and serve warm with toasted french bread topped with vegan parmesan cheese.