Galettes are just as delicious as pies, but way easier to make! And what better way to welcome fall than with an apple cream cheese galette? Instead of using store-bought vegan cream cheese, this version is homemade with coconut milk, cashew butter, and apple cider vinegar for tanginess.
Cream Cheese Apple Galette [Vegan]
- 3 cups oat flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, solid
- Filtered water as needed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup raw cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 large apples, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Seeds of one vanilla bean
- Juice of one small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Coconut sugar, for topping
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, meal, sugar, and sea salt.
- Cut in coconut oil with a pastry blender or two knives until it is in pea-sized pieces. Mix in just enough water to create a smooth dough that holds together but isn't too sticky. Add a touch of water if needed, and knead slightly until a smooth dough is created.
- Divide into two pieces and shape into rounds (if it is too soft, refrigerate for about 15 minutes to firm it up slightly. You want it pliable, but not super soft or it will be hard to shape).
- Roll each out into a 14-inch round using parchment underneath and floured rolling pin. If it tears, no worries, just press it back together and patch it up.
- Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. To make filling, mix together all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spread the cream cheese over the crust leaving a 1 1/2 inch border. Arrange the apples over the cream cheese, then carefully fold up edges to cover the edge of the fruit. Brush sprinkle with a little coconut sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes (checking after 20 and if they are very brown, if they are tent with foil) until bubbling and fruit is tender. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least an hour.