These oven-baked eggplant fries are crispy, creamy, and easy to make! A cornmeal crust makes them extra crunchy and addictive. Paired with the basil and clove marinara, these fries are a must-make snack for your next game day or party. Happy dipping!
Cornmeal Crusted Eggplant Fries With Basil-Clove Marinara [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch thick fries
- 1/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence (or favorite herb blend)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tomato or handful of small tomatoes
- A handful of fresh basil (approximately 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon clove powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F degrees and chop up your eggplant into 1/4-inch thick fries.
- Place your eggplant fries in a bag or a bowl. First add the flour, flour and coat the fries. Next pour in the milk and do the same, then add in the cornmeal and seasonings, tossing to coat.
- Lay your eggplant fries on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet in the oven for approximately 10-15 minutes, until golden. While that’s baking, make the marinara sauce.
- Make the marinara by adding chopped tomatoes and basil to a food processor, pulse until basil and tomato are small chunks. Add them to a small saucepan over low heat, mix in clove powder and olive oil with a wooden spoon for approximately 3 minutes until well incorporated. Pour sauce into a dipping bowl for your fries and serve plated together.