What's Toffifay? Also known as Toffifee in Europe, Toffifay is a type of candy from Germany that consists of a caramel cup stuffed with hazelnut, nougat, and a chocolate button. Traditionally, it's made with dairy and butter, but this healthier take uses coconut oil and coconut cream for that same rich, caramel flavor. While the texture is a bit different to the original, the taste is even better!
Copycat Toffifay: Caramel Candy With Nougat, Hazelnut, and Chocolate [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (full-fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter (smooth)
- 12 hazelnuts
- 1 ounce vegan dark chocolate
- Place the coconut sugar, coconut oil, and coconut cream into a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and let simmer for a few seconds while stirring.
- Take the sauce pan off the heat and add the vanilla extract and cashew butter. Make sure you're cashew butter is really smooth or else you will end up with little cashew pieces inside the caramel.
- Stir until you have a smooth mixture and fill up your cake pop silicone mould.
- Place a hazelnut into each caramel-filled mould and place the whole tray into the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime melt your vegan dark chocolate and place a small drop on top of each toffee.
- Place the silicone tray back into the freezer for 2 hours (or until firm).
- Store in the freezer and let defrost a few minutes before serving.