These cookie dough bars will be such a decadent treat! This recipe takes the extra step of heat-treating the flour so the dough is 100 percent safe to eat. Reprinted with permission from Vegan Chocolate Treats by Ciarra Siller, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Ciarra Siller
Cookie Dough Chocolate Bars [Vegan]
For the Cookie Dough:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free baking flour, heat-treated (see note)
- 1/2 cup mini vegan chocolate chips
For the Topping:
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips for dipping
- Have two 9 x 5–inch silicone chocolate molds ready. If you don’t have molds, line a 9 x 5–inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang so you can easily remove the bars.
- To make the cookie dough, in a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the almond milk and vanilla and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and mini chocolate chips. Press half of the cookie dough evenly into the bottom of each mold or into the bottom of the pan.
- To make the topping, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips on 50 percent power for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour the chocolate over the cookie dough and chill in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pop the bars out of the molds or use the parchment-paper handles to remove the block of bars from the pan and cut them into 12 pieces.
- To heat-treat the flour, preheat the oven to 350°F and spread the flour in an even layer on a baking sheet. - Bake for 10 minutes. Let the flour cool and sift it before using. - Store the bars in the refrigerator.