These cookie dough bars will be such a decadent treat! This recipe takes the extra step of heat-treating the flour, so the dough is 100 percent safe to eat. Reprinted with permission from Vegan Chocolate Treats by Ciarra Siller, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Ciarra Siller
Cookie Dough Chocolate Bars [Vegan]
For the Cookie Dough:
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (68 g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 g) packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) all-purpose flour or gluten-free baking flour, heat-treated (see Note)
- 1/2 cup (90 g) mini vegan chocolate chips
For the Topping:
- 2 cups (360 g) vegan chocolate chips, for dipping
- Have ready two 9 x 5–inch (23 x 13–cm) silicone chocolate molds. If you don’t have molds, line a 9 x 5–inch (23 x 13–cm) baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang so you can easily remove the bars.
- To make the cookie dough, in a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the almond milk and vanilla and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour and mini chocolate chips. Press half of the cookie dough evenly into the bottom of each mold or into the bottom of the pan.
- To make the topping, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips on 50 percent power for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour the chocolate over the cookie dough and chill in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes. Pop the bars out of the molds or use the parchment-paper handles to remove the block of bars from the pan and cut into 12 pieces. Store the bars in the refrigerator
To heat-treat the flour, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4) and spread the flour in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Let the flour cool and sift it before using