Yes, even custard can be made vegan, with coconut milk and cashew cream. These little bowls of goodness are the epitome of an impressive and elegant dessert. Serve them at a dinner party or even on a random weeknight!
Reprinted with permission from Wait, That's Vegan by Lisa Dawn Angerame, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Alex Shytsman
Coconut White Chocolate Crème Brûlée [Vegan]
- 1 13.5 ounce classic unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cashew cream
- 1/4 cup vegan cane sugar, plus more for the brûlée
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch/flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 ounce cacao butter
- Tiny pinch of salt
- Set your ramekins on a quarter sheet pan and make room in the refrigerator.
- Combine the coconut milk, cashew cream, sugar, arrowroot, vanilla, cacao butter, and salt in a small pot. Whisk together over medium heat until the cacao butter is melted, about 5 minutes; the mixture will start to boil, pull away from the sides of the pot, and coat the whisk.
- Pour into your ramekins, cover, and chill for at least 2 hours, until set.
- Evenly sprinkle the top of each ramekin with sugar.
- Torch and burn the sugar until it is dark and crispy.