This cake makes a perfect gift with that added personal touch. Ditch the conventional flowers and chocolate; bake a cake instead!
Coconut Vanilla Cake [Vegan]
- 1.5 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or raw cane sugar
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tin coconut milk (refrigerated upside down)
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries
- Coconut chips
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Grab a second bowl and whisk all the wet ingredients together. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased tin that's also dusted with coconut flour.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, 375 degrees, for about 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned on top and firm to the touch. There may be a few cracks on the top - don't worry about that! Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 20 minutes.
- Turn the cake out carefully onto a flat surface. Allow to cool for a further 30 minutes before decorating.
- Spread a layer of raspberry jam over the top of the cake.
- Make the coconut cream topping by opening a refrigerated can of coconut milk and scooping out the solid coconut 'fat' into a bowl. Add a tablespoon of the coconut liquid that has settled at the bottom of the tin then discard the rest of the liquid. Add 2 tbsp icing sugar and a 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste to the coconut fat. Combine well to form your coconut 'cream'. Place the cream in a piping bag and start to decorate the top of the cake. I just created little mounds of cream over the top of the cake.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries and toasted coconut chips. Serve and enjoy!