Pack a ton of nutrients into your lunch hour with this coconut lemongrass soup. Made primarily with coconut oil and milk, mushrooms, bell peppers, vegetable broth, and noodles, this soup will have you feeling full and energized. Nothing better than warm, colorful nourishment.
Coconut Lemongrass Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 13-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leaves or 1 tablespoon jarred sliced kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 cup Shiitake mushroom caps, rinsed and chopped
- Juice from 1 1/2 limes
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 package of soba noodles
- 2 red Serrano peppers or jalapeños
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 3/4 of 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- Heat coconut oil in large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat. Add lemongrass, garlic, and ginger, and sautée for about 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, tamari, and miso, and combine for an additional 2 minutes. Add broth, coconut milk, coconut sugar, peppers, and lime juice/kaffir lime. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and add shiitakes and sliced bell pepper. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt. Add the soba noodles and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse noodles under cold water. Allow to drain and set aside in a bowl.
- Combine with the soup and serve warm. Top with scallions, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges.