The combination of moist coconut cake, orange scented buttercream and a light chocolate filling is just out of this world delicious!
Coconut Layer Cake [Vegan]
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil or any vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Coconut Yogurt or any yogurt alternative
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Egg replacer
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Coconut Milk or any milk alternative
- 1 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut 1 cup
- 1 Recipe dairy-free Buttercream of your choice
- Zest from 1 large orange
- Juice from 1 - 1½ Oranges
- Sift the flour with the egg replacer, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Combine the coconut milk with the coconut yogurt and all the extracts
- Cream the vegan butter with the sugar until light and fluffy approximately 3 minutes then add the coconut oil. *It's ok if your oil is melted and liquid I have done it both ways with fine results
- Mix well, then add ⅓ of the sifted dry ingredients while mixing on low speed just until it is combined then add half of the milk mixture.
- Add another ⅓ of the dry ingredients, the remaining milk mixture and then the last of the dry ingredients.
- Add the shredded coconut then mix on medium speed for about 10 seconds to develop the batter
- Portion into the greased and parchment lined pans and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until they are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers or a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan until you can touch the pan easily without burning yourself and then tun out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the buttercream as per the instructions or the optional fudge filling.