Did you know that coconut flour makes a thick and delicious gluten and grain-free porridge? Forget about your run-of-the-mill oatmeal and try this yummy, easy breakfast instead! It's especially tasty when topped with sweet caramelized apricots, but have fun with your own favorite toppings.
Coconut Flour Porridge With Roasted Apricots [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Apricots:
- 8-10 small fresh apricots, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, or less
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon brandy, optional
For the Porridge:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk (or more or less based on desired porridge consistency), plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coconut sugar and/or maple syrup (or agave) to taste
To Make the Apricots:
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Arrange apricots in the prepared baking sheet arranged with the cut sides up, in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and salt, splash apricots brandy.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until apricots are caramelized and tender but still retain their shape.
To Make the Porridge:
- In medium saucepan, mix coconut flour and sea salt with of water and mix until mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
- Let it stand for 2-3 minutes for the coconut flour to sop up the water.
- Add milk, stir and cook over medium heat stirring frequently until porridge thickens.
- Lower heat, keep stirring and check the consistency of the porridge, add more milk if desired.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Ladle porridge into bowls; add more milk (if desired), top with apricots and drizzle with coconut sugar and maple syrup, and any other desired toppings.