Although full-fat coconut is an important piece of what makes this creamed corn so amazing, it doesn't compromise the flavor by adding notes of coconut. First, onion and garlic are sautéed and then combined with sweet corn kernels and caramelized. Creamy coconut milk, a sprinkle of coconut sugar, fresh herbs add an amazing depth of flavor that might just upstage all the other dishes on the table.
Coconut Creamed Corn [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chopped scallions
- 3 tablespoons water for cooking or 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour blend of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sauté sweet onion and garlic in coconut oil or water until translucent.
- Add corn and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until it caramelizes with the onions and garlic.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, stir until uniform, and cook for 2 more minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.