Coconut-creamed beet greens with toasted buckwheat & macadamia nuts – creamy, nutty and mildly sweet, this dish is a delicious comfort food to enjoy!
Coconut Creamed Beet Greens [Vegan]
- 1 lbs beet leaves (from 2 bunches)
- 5-6 medium beets
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup toasted buckwheat groats
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- a handful of macadamia nuts
To Make the Buckwheat:
- Bring 1/2 cup of salted water to a boil, and add the toasted buckwheat groats.
- Cook for 20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed, and the buckwheat is soft. Add a little coconut oil, and stir to mix well.
To Roast the Beets:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut the beets into 1/4 " thick slices, brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until soft when pricked with a fork.
To Make the Beet Greens:
- Chop the beet greens, and roughly separate the stems from the leaves.
- Heat the coconut oil, and add the chopped stems first. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped leaves, some salt, and cook for a few more minutes.
- Pour 3/4 cup water to the beet greens, and continue to cook on low heat, until the liquid is absorbed, and the greens are soft.
- Add the coconut milk, the pressed garlic, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- To serve: divide the buckwheat groats among 2 plates. Top with the creamed greens, the roasted beets, and sprinkle macadamia nuts on top. Optionally drizzle some coconut cream.