Here’s a flavorful, protein-packed lunch that is very satisfying. Freekeh is a supergrain made from green durum wheat. Turmeric is good at moving stagnation in the blood and reducing pathogenic bacteria. Serve with the dressing of your choice!
Cleansing Buddha Bowl [Vegan]
For the Buddha Bowl:
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2" (5-cm) pieces
- 8 baby red potatoes, washed and sliced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 3 oz seasoned and cooked tempeh, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- 1 cup cooked freekeh
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- Turmeric dressing or green tahini dressing, as desired (see below)
For the Turmeric Dressing
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Green Tahini Dressing
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
For the Buddha Bowl:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- .Arrange the broccoli, asparagus, potatoes, carrots and tempeh on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle evenly with the oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the sheet in the oven and roast for18 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown.
- To serve, place the freekeh and spinach evenly into two shallow bowls.
- Divide the veggies and tempeh between the bowls.
- Add the purple cabbage and avocado. Spoon on the dressing and serve immediately.
For the Turmeric Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, tahini, lemon juice, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
For the Green Tahini:
- In a food processor or blender, process the lemon juice, garlic, tahini, parsley and olive oil.
- Add up to 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of water to achieve a thinner consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week
Dosha Adaptations Recipe written for vata. Pitta: No substitutions needed. Kapha: Add 1 teaspoon of red pepp er flakes and a pinch of paprika to the Turmeric Dressing. Omit the avocado.