This light and fluffy gluten-free cake is smothered in a delicious dairy-free cream cheese frosting! This gluten-free cake is moist, delicious, and anything but ordinary!
Classic Red Velvet Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free baking flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vegan-friendly red food color
To Make the Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch baking pans with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Once the almond milk has "curdled", whisk in coconut oil, vanilla extract, and red food coloring. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until everything is just incorporated.
- Evenly distribute batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- While cake is cooling, cream together the cream cheese, vanilla, and earth balance until smooth. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until all of the sugar is added and frosting is smooth. Once the cake has cooled, frost the cake. There is enough frosting to fill the middle layer as well as the top and sides of the cake.
- Chocolate Cake