Zeppoles are also known as Italian doughnuts. The traditional recipe includes butter and eggs that are mixed into a dough and then deep fried. This particular recipe uses vegan ricotta cheese and vegan cream cheese instead of butter. The resulting fried cinnamon sugar zeppole are so airy and fluffy that you lose count of how many you ate.
Cinnamon Sugar Zeppoles: Italian Doughnuts [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cinnamon Sugar Zeppoles: Italian Doughnuts [Vegan]
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan ricotta
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan egg replacer whisked in 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar (3 tablespoons granulated sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons cinnamon)
How to Prepare Cinnamon Sugar Zeppoles: Italian Doughnuts [Vegan]
- Heat oil for deep frying in a sauté pan or small wok.
- In the meantime, in a small saucepan combine al the ingredients from the list above (flour to orange zest) and cook on low flame until a smooth batter forms. This takes about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and wait until the oil is hot enough to start frying.
- Once oil is hot, add the batter by spoonfuls and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Make sure that the flame is not too high, then the outside will get too dark and the inside will be uncooked.
- Remove onto paper towel-lined plate. Toss the warm zeppole in cinnamon sugar and enjoy right away with chocolate sauce. These taste best when served the same day.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.