These warm, spicy scones are the best of two different worlds. They have the warm, gooey filling of a cinnamon bun combined with the crumbly texture of scones that makes them perfect for dunking in tea. Serve them for breakfast, bring them to work, or just munch on them for an after dinner treat. Yum!
Cinnamon Bun Scones [Vegan]
For the Scones:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Scant 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 3/4 tablespoons caster sugar or any sugar
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Scant 3/8 cup brown sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar. Mix the milk and vanilla extract together, then add enough milk to make a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead very lightly.
- Melt the butter for the filling, then mix in the sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough out and spread the filling on top, then roll the dough up like you would when making cinnamon buns. Slice the dough roughly 1-inch thick, then place on a baking tray. If you do not have a very sharp knife, using dental floss can sometimes give a cleaner cut and won't mess up your swirls as much as a knife.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 8-12 minutes, depending on the size of your buns, they should be well risen and golden. Leave to cool on the baking tray.
- This step is optional. Mix confectioners' sugar and milk, add a drop of vanilla extract or cinnamon to taste, and drizzle over buns.