Fluffy, cinnamony and sweet, these beauties are a doddle to prepare and baking them in a cake tin makes them extra special. The apple added to the filling goes great with the cinnamon!
Cinnamon Bun Cake [Vegan]
To Make the Cake:
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup dairy-free milk
- 16-ounces strong white bread flour
- 3/4-ounces coconut sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 3/4-ounces dairy free butter, melted
- 1 apple, chopped into small piece
- 2-3 tablespoons cinnamon
To Make the Frosting:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water then beat in the milk. Mix in flour, coconut sugar, and salt briefly.
- Add the half of the melted butter and mix until evenly combined, then leave in the bowl for 10 minutes.
- Lightly knead the dough on the worktop, using a little oil if you need to. Return to the bowl and leave for 10 minutes. Knead once or twice more at 10-minute intervals, then cover and leave somewhere warm until doubled in size, about an hour.
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon with the remaining butter. Flour the worktop and roll dough to 1/2-inch thick into a large rectangle.
- Cover the dough with the cinnamon butter and chopped apple.
- Roll up tightly, cut into 1 and 1/2" wheels and fit inside a large cake tin, leaving a little space between each one. You may have some spare if so pop them in a different tin to rise. Cover and leave somewhere warm again to rise until doubled in size.
- Bake at 390°F for 15 minutes, until golden.
- Mix all frosting ingredients together with a fork until smooth and thick. Drizzle generously over the cinnamon cake.