This zucchini bread is an absolute hit! Filled with so many delicious flavors, this chocolate zucchini bread is perfect for breakfast or as a sweet treat!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread [Vegan]
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1-1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grond cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup raw turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries, plus extra for topping
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan with oil.
- In a small bowl, make the flax egg by stirring the flax and water together. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine combine milk with vinegar, stir. This will curdle to create butter milk after 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, cacao, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, and sugar together. Set aside.
- Whisk the "buttermilk" with the flax egg, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Then, add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Fold using a rubber spatula until the ingredients are 75 percent combined. Add the chocolate chips, dried cherries or cranberries, and toasted walnuts. Continue to fold the batter only until all of the flour is incorporated. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into pre-greased loaf pan and top with dried fruit and walnuts. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan and placing on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting (no matter how temping it may be).