Soft, fluffy, and moist chocolate peppermint cupcakes topped with creamy vanilla buttercream. A winter wonderland dream. These chocolate peppermint cupcakes are perfect for this holiday season.
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes [Vegan]
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
For the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 tablespoons room temperature vegan butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Combine flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- To a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt. To a separate mixing bowl, whisk vigorously the melted butter, cane sugar, and cocoa powder until smooth and creamy. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet mixture followed by the flax egg, non-dairy milk, and peppermint extract. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to fold until a smooth and creamy batter forms. Fold in dark chocolate chips.
- Use a small cookie scoop to fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (a few moist crumbs is ok). Allow cooling completely before frosting.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. To a large mixing bowl, use a handheld mixer to cream together the vegan butter and powdered sugar. Slowly whisk in the non-dairy milk until thick and creamy. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Frost each cupcake and sprinkle with crushed peppermint.