Perfectly orange cake and chocolate mousse come together in this very easy yet stunning presentation for a mousse cake.
Chocolate Orange Mousse Cake [Vegan]
- 1 cup Plant Milk
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar or white vinegar 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Navel Orange 1 small or 2 clementines total weight of orange with skin on is 5oz (that's approximately 2 small clementines or 1 small navel) total volume measure of a pureed orange with the skin on is a scant 1/2 cup
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 cups Cake Flour
- 2 teaspoons Egg Replacer
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 12 tablespoons Vegetable Oil or Melted Vegan Butter
- Semi Sweet Vegan Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Hot brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Aquafaba *Chickpea Water from Canned Chickpea
- 1/8 teaspoon Agar powder
- 4 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream Of Tartar
- 1 can Coconut Milk Full Fat
- 1 Recipe Vegan Chocolate Ganache
- For the Cake: First pull of the hard stem of the orange is there are any and check the oranges for seeds by slicing them in half and remove seeds if there are any. The skins stay on the orange, so leave that intact.
- Combine the soy milk with the vinegar to sour and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the orange(s), sugar, vanilla extract, soy milk mixture and vegetable oil in a food processor and blend smooth, there will be small chunks of orange, that is exactly what you want!
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend to a smooth batter
- Divide the batter evenly into the greased and parchment lined pans and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 18-22 minutes or until they spring back when you gently touch the centers, or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pans, while you prepare the chocolate mousse
- For the mousse:
- Combine the hot coffee and the agar powder and whisk smooth. Keep it warm or the agar will set and you will have to remelt.
- Meanwhile open the can of coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight and carefully scoop out the fat that is on top and place in a mixer with a whip attachment, use the coconut liquid for something else (like a smoothie or a recipe that calls for no fat coconut water)
- Whip the coconut cream to soft peaks and reserve in the refrigerator
- Melt the chocolate in a large bowl over a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl
- Add the hot brewed coffee with the agar and the vanilla extract to the melted chocolate all at once while whisking vigorously to incorporate well.
- Add the reserved whipped coconut cream and whisk smooth
- Whip the aquafaba/agar with the cream of tartar to stiff peaks while adding the sugar slowly
- Take a small portion of the AF meringue and fold into the chocolate mixture to lighten.
- Fold in the rest of the AF gently
- Prepare the ganache as per the instructions on that blog post, then assemble the cake.