These cupcakes are so easy to make, that even a novice baker can’t go wrong! And if you don’t like chocolate orange, simply change the orange extract for another, for example, mint or vanilla.
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sweetener (avoid artificial)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/5 cup soya milk
- 2 3/4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 1 3/4 cups + 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon vegan milk of choice
- 1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder (for chocolate swirl)
- Pre-heat oven to 340°F (fan-oven).
- Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk until mixed and small bubbles form.
- Pour the mixture into cupcake cases (so they’re 3/4 full) and place in oven for 20-25 minutes (keep an eye on them).
- You will know the sponge is cooked if you put a toothpick in and nothing sticks to it
- In the meantime, add all the icing ingredients (except cocoa powder) into a stand mixer, and mix until fluffy.
- Set aside half the mixture into a bowl, add the cocoa powder and mix again until combined – put both of the colors of icing in the fridge until needed.
- Then leave to cool on a cooling rack for a least half an hour (otherwise the icing will start to melt), then use a piping bag to pipe on the icing as desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
To get the split colored icing like in the photo, simply add the buttercream into a piping bag, a color at a time, making sure one color sits down one side and the other color sits down the opposite side of the piping bag. Then push the buttercream down towards the nozzle, squeezing the bag slightly and twist the top so it’s ‘closed’.