Oh, ice cream. There are some of us who love to enjoy it on both the hottest summer and the coldest winter days. And nothing can beat a homemade vegan ice cream. If you’ve been looking for a quick and easy way to make your own vegan ice cream, then this is the perfect recipe just for you!
Chocolate-Mint Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 3 ripe bananas
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- a bit of rice milk or water (to help the blender; you don’t need any if your blender can take care of frozen bananas)
- 2 tablespoons of cacao nibs or finely chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder (optional – adds more “green” to the color)
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (optional – only if you want an extra sweet ice cream)
- fresh berries for topping
- The night before making the ice cream, freeze the bananas. Roughly chop them into smaller pieces (will be easier to blend them) and put in a plastic box or small bag, then place in the freezer. Perfectly they should stay there overnight, but 5 or 6 hours are good to go as well.
- 10 minutes before making the ice cream, remove bananas from the freezer.
- Place them in a food processor, add mint leaves, spirulina powder and blend until smooth and creamy. If your blender struggles with it like mine sometimes does, add rice milk or water little by little until you get a creamy texture. But remember – the more water or rice milk you’ll add, the less creamy and more liquid the ice cream will be.
- When the ice cream mixture is ready, mix in cacao nibs or chocolate.
- Serve with fresh berries on the top.