Is there a better way to start a weekend morning, or any morning for that matter, than with warm, fluffy, chocolate hazelnut waffles? Top them with nut butter, maple syrup, berries, and an extra drizzle of melted chocolate for the ultimate vegan breakfast. This recipe could also easily be made gluten free if that’s your thing too! These chocolate hazelnut waffles are quite simple to make and can really improve your morning. They might even help you get up before the alarm (no promises though)!
Chocolate Hazelnut Waffles [Vegan]
- 2 cups plant based milk
- 1/2 cup water (or more plant-based milk)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup oil (coconut, avocado, whatever you’ve got)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1 cup hazelnut flour
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- In a stand mixer, or mixing bowl with hand mixer, mix together dry ingredients (flour, hazelnut flour, baking powder, salt, sugar).
- Squeeze lemon in to your plant based milk (this allows the milk to curdle slightly creating a buttermilk like consistency).
- Add wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. (Plant based milk + lemon mixture, water, oil, maple syrup if you’re using instead of sugar, vanilla).
- Fold in the chocolate chips into your batter.
- Heat up your waffle maker and set to your favorite setting. Use some coconut oil on there if you like.
- Pour batter into waffle maker (you don’t need to fill it all the way, the batter will spread when the waffle maker is closed).
- Top with your fave toppings and enjoy!