This recipe is simple, tasty, healthy, and has room for you to throw in your favorite oatmeal toppings! There is something special about the chocolate and date combination in this delicious breakfast combination that makes it a must try.
Chocolate Date Steel Cut Oats [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups liquid (equal parts water and nondairy milk, or adjust liquid to your preferred consistency)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup chopped, pitted medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (use natural, nonalkalized cocoa powder for higher antioxidant content; for a treat that tastes closer to an Oreo cookie, try Dutch-processed cocoa powder)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Stovetop instructions: Add the liquid and salt to your pot and bring the liquid to a boil, then add the oats and dates.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 10 to 20 minutes, until your desired consistency is reached.
- Stir occasionally. You may want to allow a little air to escape from the lid to prevent any boiling over.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for a few minutes.
- Now you can add your desired condiments to your steel-cut oats.
- Serve, and enjoy!
You can also make this in a rice cooker if your rice cooker has a “porridge” setting. Simply combine all the ingredients in the rice cooker, set it to the 'porridge' setting, hit start, and walk away. It generally takes just over an hour to cook this way. Some rice cookers even allow you to program the start time, allowing you to wake up to the smell of a fresh oatmeal breakfast all ready to go!