Don’t let the size fool you—there is quite a combination of health and luscious chocolate packed into each of these crunch bars. These treats make a perfect snack, dessert or quick, indulgent pick-me-up all while using simple and natural ingredients. Reprinted with permission from Vegan Chocolate Treats by Ciarra Siller, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Ciarra Siller
Chocolate Crunch Bars [Vegan]
For the Bars:
- 3 cups (93 g) rice cereal (gluten free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon (10 g) chia seeds
- 1/3 cup (85 g) natural peanut butter
- 7 tablespoons (105 ml) maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Coating:
- 1 cup (180 g) vegan chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) coconut oil
- Culinary-grade rose petals, crumbled, for topping
- Line an 8 x 8–inch (20 x 20–cm) pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang so you can easily remove the bars.
- Place the cereal and chia seeds in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, gently melt together the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla on 50 percent power for about 15 seconds, and then stir until smooth. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the cereal and use a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula to stir until all of the cereal is well coated. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan and pack it down tightly. Place the pan in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator, use the parchment-paper handles to remove the block of bars from the pan and cut them into 10 evenly sized bars. Place them in the freezer while you melt the chocolate.
- https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Chocolate-Treats-Indulgent-Chocoholic/dp/1645670902/?tag=onegrepla-20To make the coating, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt together the chocolate and coconut oil on 50 percent power in 15-second increments, stirring in between, until smooth. Cover the rice bars in the chocolate and chill in the freezer until solid, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the rose petals before serving.