Yeah, this recipe is a party in yo mouth. Just fresh fruit and some buckwheat groats make these creamy sweet ice cream sandwiches RAW, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE and pretty low in fat. Magic. Eat these whenever you want. Breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner, whatevs. Like I said, it's legit just fruit so you can't go wrong.
Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
3 large sandwiches
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats, soaked for 30 minutes then rinsed
- 1/2 cup gooey dates
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 3-4 frozen bananas
- 1 cup pitted cherries
- 1-2 tablespoons almond butter (optional but omg yum)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean (or vanilla extract)
- 3 tablespoons carob powder (or cacao/cocoa powder)
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- Water, as needed
- To make the cookies: pulse the buckwheat and dates together until they become a rough dough. If it's too crumbly, add more dates or some water. Add the salt. Shape into cookies and leave in the fridge*.
- To make the ice cream: blend everything - except a 1/2 cup of the cherries - until smooth. If you need to, add some water or coconut milk. Stir the remaining cherries in by hand. Cherry chunks yusssss.
- To make the chocolate: stir everything together until smooth, adding enough water to get a chocolate sauce consistency. If you want, add some coconut oil and salt.
- Assembly*: spoon some chocolate onto each cookie, then scoop some ice cream onto half the cookies, and make them into sandwiches by putting the remaining half on top of the ice cream scoops. Voila.
If you want to do it exactly how I did it: get a few different cookie cutters and when you have the cookie dough ready, using half the dough, press a little bit into the bottom of each cookie cutter; don't take off the cookie cutters. When you have the chocolate ready, spoon a little on top of each cookie (still inside the cookie cutters), then scoop on some ice cream, spoon on a little more chocolate, then let them get solid in the freezer and press on the remaining cookie dough. I feel like I did a bad job explaining that but oh well.