Cauliflower in a chocolate treat may not sound like everybody's cup of tea, but like black bean brownies and chickpea chocolate chip cookies, the hidden healthy ingredient is undetectable. The cauliflower makes the bars creamy and mousse-like and chopped walnuts are mixed in for texture. Alternatively, you could stir some extra chocolate pieces into the mix before baking for even more chocolatey texture. Keep these stashed in your refrigerator and snack on them when you feel like a little something sweet.
Chocolate Cauliflower Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chocolate Bars:
- 14 ounces cauliflower florets (2 cups when blended)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Optional Topping:
- 1.7 ounces dark chocolate
- Raw cacao nibs
- Boil or steam cauliflower until soft, drain well, and blend until smooth. Stir in the coconut oil and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 355°F.
- Line 9x9-inch square baking dish with baking paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together ground walnuts, buckwheat flour, cacao powder, flaxseed, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the cauliflower and stir until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking dish and level the surface.
- Place into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, until it feels firm in the middle.
- Leave to cool down completely before cutting into 16 bars.
- Melt the dark chocolate in double boiler and drizzle over the bars. Sprinkle with few raw cacao nibs.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.