I feel it is important that every kitchen have a little something-something kept in the freezer for your work/school week because it always kept me from buying (although vegan) the not-so-good for you “snack foods” out there. They are quick, easy and can be made in one bowl. Hooray! Oh did I mention that they are vegan, gluten free and insanely delicious, especially right out of the freezer. The roasted almond butter melts as you chew it, revealing new flavors like coconut, nutty oats, caramel-y dates and chocolate. Swoon!
One Bowl Chocolate, Caramel Almond Balls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- ¼ cup black or white chia seeds + 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup hulled hemp seeds
- ¼ cup blanched slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons mini vegan chocolate chips
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- In a large bowl mix the chai seeds and the water together and let thicken for about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile measure out the rest of the ingredients and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. When the chai mixture is gluey, add the rest of the ingredients together in the bowl and mix well, either with your hands or a wooden spoon. Using my hands was much easier so go on and get those hands dirty!
- When fully incorporated use a 1-tablespoon measuring spoon to measure out the mix and form them into balls. Transfer the ball to the lined baking sheet and continue with the rest of the mix. When completed, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- At this point they are semi-frozen and so delicious. Enjoy!
I keep mine in an airtight container in the freezer for about 2 weeks.....if they last that long.