This recipe is full of fiery, rich, indulgent flavour, all from the oven! That means minimal oil, minimal mess and minimal effort. No standing craned over a pan that’s intent on spitting at you required here. For this, the tofu just takes 20 minutes in the oven on each side – that’s two episodes of whatever sitcom you’re binge-watching, then a healthy snack waiting for you on the other end.
Chilli Peanut Tofu [Vegan]
- 1 block Firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon Hot chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Cider vinegar
- Preheat a fan oven to 360ºF and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Drain your tofu, and press it if required.
- Cut the tofu however you’d like. I find triangles work best as they remain sturdy in the oven: cut the tofu into slices, then half these slices to make triangles.
- Add all the ingredients except the tofu to a bowl. Mix gently with a spoon until the ingredients are fully combined – this might take a few minutes, and it will be quite thick. Don’t worry!
- Dip each tofu piece into the bowl to cover with the sauce. When all the tofu is covered in the sauce, lay them on the lined baking tray and put in the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then flip each piece over and cook for a further 20 minutes. Check at the end – if you want your tofu crispier, cook for an additional 5-10 minutes on each side.