On a hot summer day, who wants to cook? Well, we've got wonderful news! You don't have to with this light and refreshing chilled cucumber soup! It makes for a delicious, quick starter to any al fresco meal! With this simple combination of English cucumbers, fresh cilantro, silken tofu, and a little vegetable broth, you’ll have a delicious, refreshing homemade soup in minutes!
Chilled Cucumber Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For Cucumber Soup:
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro stems and leaves
- 1/2 pound silken tofu
- 6 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For Pico de Gallo:
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Additional English cucumber, thinly sliced
- In a blender, combine all ingredients for the soup. Puree until smooth. Refrigerate at least two hours to chill before serving. Season to taste.
- In a small bowl combine tomato, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, and olive oil. Toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and add salt accordingly. Chill two hours before serving for flavors to develop.
- To serve, ladle cold soup into chilled bowls. Float one or two slices of cucumber on the soup and carefully spoon pico de gallo over the soup and sliced cucumber. Be careful so that the garnish doesn't plop to the bottom, but rests gently on top.