Anything pineapple makes it feel like summer. These sweet potato burgers are full of flavor! Sweet pineapple and spicy chili make an amazing combo for warmer weather and a creamy, spicy chili-flavored spread pairs perfectly with these burgers.
Chili Pineapple Sweet Potato Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chili Pineapple Sweet Potato Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burgers:
- 1 10-ounce bag of frozen cubed sweet potatoes (see Notes)
- 3/4 cups dry rice
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped and squeezed pineapple (see Notes)
- 1/4 of a small purple onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- A pinch of black pepper
For the Chili Mayo:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 of a small lemon squeezed (make sure no seeds fall in)
- Gluten-free burger buns
- Tomato, sliced thick
- Shredded lettuce
How to Prepare Chili Pineapple Sweet Potato Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Start by cooking the rice and steaming the sweet potatoes. Cook rice according to directions on the package. For the sweet potatoes place them in a pot with about 2 ounces of water and cover with the lid. Let them steam on low-medium heat for about 15-30 minutes depending on heat level and if you use fresh or frozen, once they are mashable with a spoon they are done.
- While those are cooking, chop the onion and pineapple and place in a large mixing bowl so it is ready.
- Once rice and potatoes are done, add the rice to the big bowl with the pineapple and onion and let the rice cool, about 10 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potatoes in the pot before adding to the rice mixture, then add the sweet potatoes and mix everything really well.
- Add the olive oil and chili powder with a pinch of black pepper. Mix until everything is well-incorporated.
- Spray a skillet with non-stick spray or use a non-stick skillet.
- Form burger-shaped patties and gently place them in the skillet. Cook about 7 minutes on each side, on medium heat, or until they start to look crispy on the outside. Be careful while flipping them and do not cook these on the grill.
- Make the sauce by combining everything in a bowl with a fork and serve with the burgers.
You can use fresh sweet potatoes just make sure to peel and chop them first. 10 oz. is a little less than 1 1/2 cups after you mash it up. Canned pineapple works better than fresh because it is softer. Just be sure to drain it well.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.