This is a great way to use up leftover chili. If you don’t have any on hand, this recipe includes a quick chili that can be ready in minutes.
Chili Mac [Vegan]
For the Chili
- 3 cups (594 g) cooked lentils or (516 g) black beans, or 2 (15.5-ounce, or 425 g) cans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups (390 g) tomato salsa (hot or mild)
- 3 tablespoons (48 g) Barbecue Sauce (page 101), or store-bought
- 2 to 3 teaspoons (5 to 8 g) chili powder, plus more as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
For the Sauce
- 3 cups (720 ml) plain unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 1/4 cups (175 g) unsalted raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes and drained
- 1/3 cup (20 g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
For the Pasta
- 16 ounces (454 g) elbow macaroni, or other small pasta
- Nonstick cooking spray, for preparing the baking dish
- 3/4 cup (47 g) crushed tortilla chips, or corn chips
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
To make the chili:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine all the chili ingredients.
- Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through and the flavors are well blended, about 5 minutes. Add as much water as needed to create a sauce-like consistency and prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until heated through and any raw taste from the chili powder is cooked off, about 15 minutes.
To make the sauce:
- In a high-speed blender, combine all the sauce ingredients. Blend until very smooth and creamy. Set aside.
To make the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain the pasta and return to the pot.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch (23 × 33 cm) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spread the chili evenly on top of the pasta.
- Sprinkle the tortilla chips on top of the chili. Bake for 20 minutes until hot.
- Serve topped with the avocado.