A hearty, satisfying burger is an absolute must in any plant-based repertoire, which exactly why I set out to create this one. Not only will these fill you up, they're also a great use for those chickpeas you've been saving after you've drained the brine to make amazing desserts. Waste not, want not!
Chickpea Millet Burgers With Butternut Squash [Vegan]
- 1 can of chickpeas (about 240g drained)
- 1/2 cup millet
- 140g butternut squash, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup oats
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Heat a pan of water on a high heat until boiling and add the butternut squash. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a knife slides in easily. Drain and set aside.
- Add the millet to a saucepan, cover with 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil, cover and turn off the heat. Leave for 15-20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- In a food processor, add the chickpeas, garlic, lemon and salt. Pulse on high until the chickpeas are broken down but not completely smooth.
- Add the butternut squash and pulse again until incorporated.
- In a bowl add the cooked millet, oats, chickpea squash mixture, paprika, dill, and olive oil. Using a spoon stir thoroughly until everything is well mixed.
- Using your hands, scoop up the mixture and form patties. Place each patty on a lined baking tray. Repeat with the remaining mixture. I ended up with 7 patties.
- Bake the patties for 15-20 minutes or until crispy. If you wish them to be crispier, you can lightly fry them in olive oil for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Serve with your favorite vegan toppings and a good bowl of fries!