The main components of this vegan meatloaf besides chickpeas are onion, garlic, red pepper, fresh thyme and fresh parsley. Then, of course, there is the flavor bomb glaze that goes on top. This vegan meatloaf also tastes delicious as a sandwich smeared with the maple glaze.
Chickpea Meatloaf and Tomato Maple Glaze [Vegan]
- 2 15-ounce cans of cooked chickpeas
- 1 small onion chopped (3/4 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup aquafaba liquid from carton of chickpeas
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Put all the loaf ingredients into a food processor and process until combined but still a little chunky being careful not to puree.
- Gently press the mixture into the greased loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, maple syrup and mustard.
- Brush the mixture over the entire loaf.
- Half way through cooking, spoon a little extra ketchup glaze on top
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve it with a little extra glaze on the side (optional).