These chocolate chip dessert bars are made with chickpeas and almond butter, so say hello to protein! The edges have the perfect "crispiness" to them while the inside is like a soft, gooey cookie. These are great for snacking, but they're best after they've cooled down a bit, but the chocolate chips are still melty. For a dessert that's indulgent, but still pretty healthy, try your bar with a banana ice cream and a dollop of whipped coconut cream!
Chickpea Chocolate Chip Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 14-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup of almond butter
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup of vegan chocolate chips or shaved dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a loaf pan with coconut oil. Set that aside while the oven preheats and while you make the dough.
- Into your food processor add the chickpeas, almond butter, syrup, extract, salt, baking soda, and powder. Pulse several times, until smooth and creamy.
- Add some chocolate chips into the mixture, reserving some to top the final product before baking and pulse a few times.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and then sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips. You can add more or less, as you prefer.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the edges are golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. It may require more time depending on your oven temperature. Remove and let cool at least 20 minutes to set up.