If you’re looking for a low-fat, high-protein option for dinner, then these chickpea vegan “chicken” schnitzels might just fit the bill. Based on chickpeas, these pseudo-chicken schnitzels use vital wheat gluten for binding and savoury yeast flakes for a lovely cheesy flavor. The addition of thyme and rosemary finishes off the chicken-like experience neatly.
Chickpea Chicken Schnitzels [Vegan]
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed
- Scant 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 1/4 cups and scant 2/3 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran (to coat)
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Grind thyme and rosemary into a fine powder (optional).
- Process chickpeas, yeast, spices, and milk until smooth.
- Add 1 1/4 cup gluten flour and process until just combined.
- Remove from processor and knead additional scant 2/3 cup of gluten flour into mix.
- Split into 32 balls about 1-inch across.
- Flatten into thin rounds.
- Press into oat bran, shake off excess.
- Store in lined trays, separate multiple layers with paper.
- Freeze for several hours or overnight before cooking.
- Cook at 390°F for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Top with fresh tomato and vegan cheese or your toppings of choice.