This tagine is the perfect feel-good food. Plus it is super easy and quick to make! Cooking the couscous and vegetables takes less than 15 minutes if you use canned chickpeas.
Chickpea Butternut Tagine [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup butternut squash (1 medium to small squash), sliced in half mo0ns, roasted for at least 30 minutes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (canola or coconut will do fine)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 small chili, seeds removed
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine (optional but definitely worth a try)
- A pinch of cayenne and cinnamon
- A pinch of dried parsley, to garnish
- 1/2 cup couscous, dry
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Pour boiling water over the couscous in a heat-proof bowl and let sit while you cook.
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium heat. Gently fry the cumin seeds and garlic for 3-5 minutes, until browned.
- Add the red onion and chilli and cook till soft (5 minutes approx). The onion should start to caramelise.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, chopped tomatoes and chickpeas, and cook for five minutes. Add the roasted butternut squash and a few tbsp red wine, sprinkle over the spices, and cook for another 5 minutes until the vegetables are mellow and tender.
- The couscous will by now have absorbed all the water. Fluff it up with a fork--not a spoon, I beseech you. That'll only make it clump together in a most unappealing way. Serve the hot vegetables over the couscous and enjoy immediately.