These burgers are so easy, but so delicious. The base is just chickpeas. No oats, no other grains or fillers — just chickpeas that are smashed, mixed with herbs, a dash of hot sauce, and nutritional yeast then baked until they're crispy on the outside. This easy dinner is ready in just under 30 minutes and calls for no specific herbs, so if you're short on time and your pantry stock is low, all you need are a few cans of chickpeas!
Chickpea Burger With Avocado Mayo [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Avocado Mayo:
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Chickpea Burger Patties:
- 3 14-ounce cans chickpeas
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
For the Burgers:
- Chickpea patties
- Greens of choice
- Tomato, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
- Buns of choice (gluten-free if needed)
To Make the Avocado Mayo:
- Soak the cashews in water for 2 hours.
- Drain the cashews and add to a blender with the avocados and all other ingredients. Pulse until smooth and store in the refrigerator.
To Make the Chickpea Burger Patties:
- Preheat oven to 390°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the chickpeas and transfer to a bowl.
- Mash with a hand masher until the chickpeas form a rough texture. Add the herbs, salt, and hot sauce, then mix well.
- Form patties with your hands and transfer to the baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes and flip in between.
To Assemble the Burgers:
- Start out with the greens, add tomato, and a chickpea patty. Top with a good amount of the avocado mayo, red onion rings, and watercress.