To make these little pancakes, I used what I had at home, which was vegetables that I grilled plus a lemon and dill vegan mayonnaise I had made the day before. I tried to make one big pancake, but let me admit to failing completely, so I recommend to try these smaller kinds ... still absolutely delicious (and far easier to flip over in the pan!).
Chickpea Blinis With Grilled Vegetables and Lemon Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1/3 clove garlic
- ⅓ tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (more to taste)
- Four small stems fresh dill (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp shredded horseradish (optional - avoid if you don't like the strong flavor)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 12 large asparagus, sliced
- 8 large carrots, sliced
- A little salt
- A little olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful dill, finely chopped
- 1 small handful chives, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot, very finely shredded
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add all ingredients apart from the olive oil to a blender and let it run for a minute, before very slowly adding the olive oil, while still blending on full speed. The slower you add the olive oil, the more the sauce will thicken, so take your time.
- Adjust the seasoning (more salt, horseradish, lemon juice, dill etc) before pouring the sauce into a covered jar and placing it in the fridge - where it will thicken further - while you prepare the blinis.
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees. Slice the asparagus and carrots and place them in an oven tray, drizzle over a little olive oil and add some salt, and place in the oven to bake for approximately 20 minutes (until a little soft and a little brown).
- Mix all the blini ingredients in a bowl, excluding the olive oil. Whip it forcefully together for about half a minute.
- Heat a frying pan to low to medium heat and add the olive oil. Add spoonfuls with the blini mix, enough to get to your desired size (i make them CD sized). Flip them over after about a minute to fry on the other side. They should be firm throughout and start to go a little brown.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven, take the sauce from the fridge, and serve while the blinis are still warm.