You really can't go wrong when you have some form or other of baked beans. Rather than the navy beans typically used in baked beans, this recipe uses chickpeas! Once you make a batch, you will want to serve these beans with everything. They are great on bread, with quinoa or another grain, and are also a great addition to a buddha bowl. You can make a big batch with the knowledge you have a myriad of options to add it to that will make your week so much easier.
Chickpea Baked Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 leek, sliced finely
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/3 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 slices of a large eggplant, diced
- 2 tomatoes
- 2-3 large cabbage leaves, sliced finely
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each thyme, oregano, rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon seeded mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups of freshly soaked and cooked chickpeas or 1 can drained chickpeas
- Add leek, mushrooms, pepper, and eggplant to a heated pan with oil and cook until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the garlic, tomato, and cabbage. Stir through and allow to soften and incorporate with the rest of the vegetables for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir through, turn down to a slow simmer, and cook for a further 15-20 minutes.