Here we go again! Something I thought I would never be able to make. I didn’t have any ‘ice cream’ for the beginning of this recipe creation so I had to eat them like a snack. No complaining here! Tender and sturdy all at the same time, the cones taste delicious with just a hint of sweetness. Ground chia seed is incorporated as the ‘egg’ so you get an extra helping of nutrients, protein and fiber along the way. Fill with your favorite vegan ice cream and you're all set for a cool treat! You'll need a waffle cone appliance to make these, which are pretty easy to find in some kitchen stores and online.
Chia Waffle Cones [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 chia egg (which is 1 1/2 tablespoon chia flour and 4 1/2 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Make your chia egg in a medium bowl and set aside. A chia egg is actually made with chia seed meal/flour not the bare seed. The way you make meal/flour is by grinding the chia seed in a processor such as one for your coffee beans or a spice grinder. Grind until it is a fine meal.
- Preheat the waffle cone appliance and preheat to medium.
- Add the salt to the chia egg.
- Beat in the sugar for about one minute.
- Add the flour and beat until well combined.
- Add the melted vegan butter and stir until well blended.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter in the center of the hot iron.
- Bake for 1 minute then check for proper color. Cook an additional few seconds if necessary.
- If you would like your cones darker turn up the knob one number.
- Quickly remove the waffle from the appliance onto a clean cloth towel.
- You have to work fast to get the cone to set in it's shape before it hardens. That happens quickly.
- Use the cloth to help lift and roll the waffle around the cone form.
- Hold the cone a few seconds to set its shape then place on a wire rack to cool.
- Chia Seeds