For those of you with a garden or a neighbor who grows zucchini and secretly leaves a few each week on your doorstep, there is always the challenge of finding new, creative ways of enjoying the veggie. Of course, there is the classic zucchini bread. This recipe is a sweeter spin on zucchini bread where the vegetable takes the form of a bundt cake instead. The cake is naturally sweetened by fresh cherries, applesauce, and dates and is finished with a simple date glaze.
Cherry Zucchini Bundt Cake With Date Glaze [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 dates, pitted and soaked
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup and 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 small zucchini, finely shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and sliced in half
For the Glaze:
- 6 dates, soaked and pitted
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Grease a standard bundt pan with coconut oil and lightly dust with spelt flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a food processor, using the "S" blade, process the dates until well blended. Add apple sauce and process until smooth. Add the date mixture, apple cider vinegar, softened coconut oil, and cold water. Mix until just combined. Add shredded zucchini and mix until well combined. Gently stir in cherries.
- Pour mixture into prepared bundt pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30- 35 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to fully cool in pan on a wire rack before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Prepare date glaze in a food processor by processing all ingredients until desired consistency is reached. Once the cake has cooled, generously spread the date glaze over the top of the cake.