This recipe is for raw kale chips, using a dehydrator. However if you do not have a dehydrator there are easy steps to make them in your oven. These chips are so much cheaper than the store-bought version! Make these at home for a cheezy, crispy treat!
Cheezy Spiced Kale Chips [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Cheezy Spiced Kale Chips [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 bunches of curly green kale (about 8 leaves per bunch)
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1/3 cup cashew nuts
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup water
How to Prepare Cheezy Spiced Kale Chips [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Place the sundried tomatoes into a small bowl, and cover with fresh warm water. Allow soaking for 1 hour.
- Place the cashews and sunflower seeds together in a separate small bowl and cover with fresh warm water and allow to soak 1 hour.
- Meanwhile wash, devein, and tear the kale leaves into chip-sized pieces. Shake free of excess water in a clean kitchen towel, and add into an extra large bowl.
- After the nuts and seeds have softened, strain excess water, and add to a large food processor. Add the tomatoes and their soak water to the nuts. Continue to add the zucchini, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, paprika, cayenne, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Process until smooth. You may need to add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to get a thick paste. The trick is not to have it too runny but also not too dry.
- Pour the mixture over the kale leaves. Thoroughly mix the mixture into the leaves, gently massaging it into each crevice. Evenly spread out the leaves onto dehydrator trays, and dehydrates for 9 hours at 115°F. Store in an airtight container or bag to maintain optimal freshness and crisp texture.
Note: If you do not have a dehydrator you can also bake the kale chips in the oven at the lowest temperature setting. Line trays with parchment paper and bake until crisp (2-4 hours) checking periodically and flipping them over. Each oven varies, so after the first time you will know exactly how long it takes for you to make kale chips in your oven.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.