This vegan stromboli recipe is essentially the combination of a pizza pocket and a pizza roll! Layers of Italian pizza dough drenched in cheesy pizza sauce with your favorite toppings, this just might be the best way to eat pizza yet. Stromboli is one of the easiest pizza recipes to make vegan, and it super fun to eat!
Cheesy Stromboli [Vegan]
Italian Pizza Dough
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast (one packet)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Ball Pizza Dough (cut in half or quarters)
- 3/4 cup Pizza Sauce
- 2/3 cup Vegan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Green Peppers (chopped)
Italian Pizza Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine warm water, yeast, sugar, and oil. Let sit for 10 minutes, or until the yeast begins to activate.
- In a small bowl (or measuring cup) combine flour, salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Add flour mixture to yeast mixture and stir until a ball of dough begins to form.
- Knead pizza dough into a ball. Work and knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large mixing bowl with oil. Coat the ball of dough in the oil.
- Cover the dough with a tea towel or tin foil and let rise for an hour and a half in a warm place.*
- Once the dough has roughly doubled in size, punch it down and knead it into a ball. Cut it in half, or into 4 pieces (depending on how large you want your stromboli.
- Preheat oven to 420°F, line a baking sheet.
- Stretch the pieces of pizza dough out into rectangles on a greased or lined baking sheet.***
- Spread pizza sauce edge to edge over the dough. You can leave a bit of space around the edges to make the rolling process less messy.
- Add a layer of vegan cheese and green peppers (or other desired toppings).
- Roll the dough into a log (approximately 3-4 rolls). Position stromboli so that the seam is face down on the pan.
- Bake at 420 for about 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
*I like to preheat my oven on a low temperature, let some heat escape so it’s not too hot, then let my dough rise in the warm oven. **This dough recipe makes enough for 2 medium-sized pizzas. Usually this is to share a medium-sized pizza so we only use half the dough to make 2 strombolis. You can cut your dough into 2 or 4 pieces, depending on how large you want yours to be. ***You can freeze the leftover dough in a Ziploc bag until needed. Defrost in the fridge for a few hours or let thaw in a bowl of warm water for quicker results. ****You can stretch the dough out pretty thin for this recipe so it cooks all the way through. Roughly 1/4 inch is fine. Adjust to your crust preference!