Trade meatballs in for something a little more wholesome (but just as filling) like these cheesy quinoa meatballs. Fluffy quinoa is rolled in flax seed, diced onion, garlic, herbs, and shredded vegan mozzarella, and then baked in the oven until brown. Serve on top of salad, in a sub, or with marinara and pasta.
Mozzarella Quinoa Meatballs [Vegan]
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided in 2
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella, grated and chopped
- Marinara sauce, for serving
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flax seed meal and water and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Stir in garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, paprika, and salt. Stir in cooked quinoa and mix well, cooking another minute or two. Transfer quinoa mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in flax seed “egg,” lemon zest, and non-dairy cheese shreds and mix well.
- Form quinoa into balls about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Place on a lined baking sheet. You should end up with about 12. Refrigerate quinoa meatballs for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush quinoa meatballs with remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Bake about 20 minutes until brown.
- When serving, top with marinara sauce and fresh parsley, if you'd like.